Monday, October 23, 2017

Mini-Gallimaufry: MFA for popular work and an MFA advisor who realizes the current model isn't getting it done

This will be one of my shortest posts ever:

1) After my post yesterday, I was looking to see if any writing programs do, in fact, focus on popular fiction, and I found at least one that does: at University of Southern Maine, the Stonecoast MFA in Creative Writing has a popular fiction track.

2) A thoughtful article in the New Yorker today from an MFA advisor is the latest to question whether the heavy focus on craft is the right approach. I know it was a problem for me. I was around a lot of smart people who liked to read, but we didn't talk as much about what stories were worth telling as we did about how to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.