Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Humanity limps under the porch to die: Maria Anderson's "The Cougar"

If my goal was to give the stories in the 2018 Best American Short Stories collection the serious consideration they deserve, I picked a hard one to start with. The story is as full of symbols taking on a life of their own as the Montana woods of Maria Anderson's"The Cougar" are full of scary things.

I said "symbols," but that doesn't do justice to the images in "Cougar" that come to life, taking over the story the way the cancer "or some other disease" eats the Cherokee landlord Jenny up from the inside. Having absorbed the guts of the story, these images then set about devouring one another. There is so much going on in these fourteen pages, the marks I made to highlight key passages ended up taking over most of the text. The symbols start to acquire meaning, but the meanings are like waves, bouncing into each other, sometimes doubling each other and sometimes cancelling one another out.

The unnamed first-person narrator lives in a Montana where almost everyone important to him is destroying the Earth in some way. He lives near a dying logging town; dying because it has already taken down all the old forest that fueled its growth. The loss of old forest doomed the business of the narrator's father, a man who both loved the trees and also destroyed them, two facts he does not find contradictory: "Dad loved the woods, and, I think, for him, felling the oldest trees in the forests didn't mean he loved them any less." The narrator's friend works on an oil rig and encourages the narrator to join him. More disgustingly, there is the low-quality Chinese restaurant where the narrator washes dishes in a restaurant that serves food described in brutal terms that evoke the violence involved in meat: "Greasy piles of chicken or beef probably slaughtered years ago, thawed and slopped with sauce that left orange residue on the plates."

The meaning in the imagery is so thick, you could dive in anywhere and start swimming in it, but I'll start with two of the central images: the cat and the cougar. The cat here is one of those smiling, arm-swinging little statuettes: "The cat waved at you like it was waving away all the stuff you thought about. Like it was urging you not to think, not to worry about being able to buy food or pay rent or feel like you should try to make some friends or have sex again because that was what eighteen-year-olds did."

The cat represents one kind of reaction to living in the world where one must kill and destroy in order to survive. It's a jaded and cynical philosophy, best typified by the grandmother of the restaurant's owners. The owners, it turns out, are actually Korean, not Chinese, and they tried to first open the restaurant serving non-exotic Korean dishes that might appeal to Westerners. But nobody wanted it. As the grandmother put it, "They wanted shit. They wanted very cheap, big portion of shit...What I decide is, people want shit, you give them shit."

This is the philosophy of the ultra-pragmatist. You didn't make the world a place where you have to destroy to survive, but since it's like that, you might as well roll with it. The owner of the restaurant wants to destroy the cougar to have something go up on the wall that will bring in customers. It's a wholly cynical way of living. It's the way of the narrator's friend, Blake, who, when we first seem him, joins in the "big portion of shit": "I saw my friend Blake outside the gas station, holding a cup of shit coffee in a fancy portable mug."

I think these are actually Japanese in origin, although they're all over Asia now. 


It's a beguiling philosophy, one that holds out a promise of some wisdom for the narrator. He notes that the grandmother is from "a place called Soul," mistaking the capital of South Korea for something much deeper. He ascribes a spiritual wisdom to the owners of the restaurant they do not deserve. The cat seems to offer a sort of enlightened detachment from the world, but instead it encourages its adherents to exploit the world in a terrible way. The owners of the restaurant want the narrator to throw their trash in the river to save money.

The cougar, meanwhile, is the eponymous and powerful symbol of the story. While tracking the cougar after it attacks his dog, the narrator is looking for its scat, "which looks like cat shit, only bigger." Indeed, the cougar is in many ways similar to the cat, only far deeper. The cougar does not deny that to live in the world means having to destroy and kill. The cougar originally caught the narrator's interest when it killed a neighbor's horse, then came back for the remains before they could bury the thing. The cougar does not apologize for itself. The cougar is something like the narrator's father, not seeing a contradiction in loving and destroying.

After the father disappears, the boy narrator tries to find him. He also grows close to the father's dog. The dog seems to change how the narrator feels about life in a dying world. Before the dog, the boy seemed to seek a kind of spiritual detachment, one in which he is an island. The principal appeal of his job washing dishes is that "you could go the whole day without talking to anyone if you didn't feel like it." The entire tone of the narrator's voice suggests an interior monologue, with short, simple sentences prevailing. The boy is given to self-harm, perhaps as a deflection of sorts to take the place of the violence toward the world around him he does not want to carry out.

But the dog invades this space of the boy's world, literally, forcing the boy to turn on his side or spread his legs to make room for the dog on the bed. The boy begins to make plans to live in the world of his friend, working on the oil rig. He saves his money. He restricts his expenses. He steals food for the dog.

But the cougar has other plans. One day, the boy sees the cougar chase down and attack his dog. Although the boy chases the cougar off with a rifle shot, he hits the dog. The next day, the dog hobbles off into the woods to die. The boy loses all interest in heading off to the oil rig or having any kind of future at all.

The cougar is a symbol of a man living in the world as he needs to in order to survive and doing it without apologies. There is an irony in that kind of living, because the resources needed to sustain it are limited. By killing to survive, you reduce the resources needed to kill and eat again. The entire world of "The Cougar" is resource-starved. The town has lost its trees. The animals the narrator and his friend Jenny hunt are all thin and hungry-looking. But the cougar charges ahead anyway, because any philosophy that seems to offer a way out of this conundrum is a lie and a cheat.

It's possible to despise this kind of short-sightedness, but that doesn't seem to be the attitude of the story. Jenny, the narrator's landlord, whose prominent rat-tail gives him a sort of rodent-like link to nature, does not hate the cougar because it kills. Instead, he feeds it, even after it attacks the dog. When the narrator wants to hunt it, Jenny objects, saying "I'm not sure an animal deserves getting shot for being hungry...Nope, I'm not sure it does at all."

Both Jenny and the father seem to understand, like some animals do, when the end has come. They wander off, in different ways, to face their inevitable doom, a doom which is both private and universal, as the world cannot ultimately escape what it has begotten. But the cougar, the grim will to survive, to be part of the world in a non-cynical way, remains. The narrator sees it and can't believe it. "But there it was."

Notes on the writing

I've just scratched the surface of this wonderful story. I didn't even get to all the mother issues. "The Cougar" is a feast, and not a feast of shit buffet food. It makes me feel good to see that even with writing this tight, there are--I won't call them mistakes, but maybe places where I can see the technique the writer tried to hide.

One was after the narrator hits himself in the ankle with a rifle. In the next sentence, the narrator speaks of walking around in the woods on his "busted foot." Of course, it's his ankle, not his foot, that's hurt, but the writer had already said "ankle" once two sentences earlier and was about to say it again, so she opted for a near synonym that sounded just a quarter note off to me. It's not a mistake, of course. There's nothing wrong with it. But it's one of those things I'd write and spend an hour asking myself if I'm a complete fraud. Then, I'd realize I had nothing better and send it in for publication, expecting to fail. I'm glad this story didn't fail.

I also note that there really are no lines that are startlingly original on their own. It's not fireworks of verbal virtuosity. Rather, it's a slow accumulation of very simple descriptions, chosen judiciously, that together have an effect similar to one of those knock-you-down lines. I often chide myself for not being able to come up with many of those big-right-hook lines. But this story is an example of writing that works wonderfully without having those kinds of tricks up your sleeve.


FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE COME HERE FOR HELP INTERPRETING THIS STORY FOR SCHOOL OR SOMETHING SIMILAR, CHECK OUT KAREN CARLSON'S TAKE ON THIS STORY AS WELL.


11 comments:

  1. Jake, I'm a poor student, but I think your criticism is where you shine. Perhaps you'd enjoy teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a nice, basic close read of a text. That doesn't get you a Ph.D., but it's about the right level for teaching entry college courses. Maybe I'll see if HoCoCommColl wants a Lit 101 adjunct next semester. Thanks for the compliment on my criticism.

      Delete
  2. This is the kind of analysis I was hoping for, the kind I've missed. I had the cougar and the cat as flip sides of the same coin, the friendly cat beckoning vs the cougar's obvious danger, but I missed the implication that they're pulling him in two directions - towards and away from civilization (I kept hearing "Call of the Wild" as I read this). I thought there was an ending that wasn't really there (I must've dreamed it and thought I read it) in which he follows the cougar into the woods, whether as a companion or to sacrifice himself to him being ambiguous. I also love your take on Seoul/Soul. I knew something was there but couldn't articulate it. I'm not articulating well at all these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's nice of you to say, Karen. I'm not sure I've got it right, of course. This leads to the big concern I have with doing this: since nobody else is really doing anything similar besides us, that means that if I'm wrong, there are likely to be others who repeat my mistakes. It's not like there are a dozen other sources you can go to to correct my mistaken readings.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I've gone all post-modern-deconstructionist, but I don't think there's one "right" and everything else is wrong. Authorial intent fades in importance once the words leave the writer's pen, like a sterile bandaid isn't sterile any more once you unwrap it. Individual experiences and temperament, real-life events, even other works interact to impact meaning. Or maybe that's just my way of not feeling so stupid. :)

      Delete
    3. I don't believe authors control meaning, either, and of course there can be many "right" answers. But the possibility of several right answers doesn't mean there can't also be wrong ones. If I've done abuse to the text, or missed things in the text, or stretched meanings too far, then I can be wrong. That's what I mean when I say I might not have it right. I mean that a better reading might send my whole reading toppling down.

      Delete
  3. Hey Jake, again, good stuff. I am also pretty impressed by this story and you shone a bit of light on some aspects I missed. I tend to read very fast, which is OK, but then for analysis of course I need to reread several times and mark a story up, and usually I don't get to that part, and with the BASS now I'll be able to just do my fast reading and then go over and see your and Karen's take on things and I won't have to work hard. Hahaha. No, I will, at least occasionally put some effort in, honest. One of the lines that jumped out at me was "I never felt safer" in the first paragraph. I think everything in the story is a search for that safety again. A safety in his mind, too, with his belief that the cat waves away the stuff you thought about. Thoughts, deep thoughts, bring danger. It is safer not to think them. In the end he has to destroy the cat, of course. It's not safe to think about how his father died, or the missing mother.
    But in terms of you worrying about "wrong" answers, I am with Karen. No worries there. You present and if other readers don't buy it, OK, and if you are way out in left field and everyone still buys it, well, that's OK, too.
    And a small thing in the story that really bothered me, and I keep thinking I must be missing something because it is so obvious a a mistake and all these readers cannot have missed it: The cougar killed a COLT early on. And then the colt is twice referred to as "HER". Huh? A cold is male. What am I missing??
    Anyway, thrilled to be reading your stuff, Jake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your reading of superficial thoughts (cat) versus deep thoughts (cougar) is great, Andrew. In that sense, the settings of outskirts of the forest vs. deep into the forest are sort of like the limbic system we live off of every day when we trudge through life and the scarier inner parts of the psyche. Good stuff.

      Not sure what to make of the thing with the colt and her. I didn't notice it. It's really good reading on your part. Almost everything female in the story ends up dead, so maybe Anderson meant a young female horse and didn't realize that a colt wasn't a unisex term.

      Delete
  4. Why is the landlord/Cherokee named Jenny? Any symbolism in the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few months since I read this story now, and I can't really remember enough to answer that. I remember thinking at the time that it was interesting Jenny had what we'd probably immediately assume was a woman's name, but I honestly can't remember enough now to give you anything beyond that. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. I just read this story today and found it very affecting. In your review you say the narrator is unnamed, but actually there are several instances when he speaks to himself as "Cal" or when someone else calls him "Cal."

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.