Wednesday, January 23, 2019

When failing better isn't good enough anymore

If you've ever tried to beat a video game, unless you're a really good player, you'll likely hit a number of cruxes. These are moments where you have a really hard time beating the level you're on, and at some point, you have to decide if it's worth the time you'll have to put into it to get past the part you're stuck on. Sure, if you keep at it forever, you're bound to beat it sometime, but do you really want to invest that much time in a video game? Don't you have other things you could be doing? Didn't the game stop being fun a while ago?

As you try and try to beat the game, you'll likely have a moment where you almost get it. Either you change your approach, or you get a little better at what you were trying, and you very nearly beat the level. Close, but not quite, and that's usually when you throw the controller down and spend some time asking yourself how much you really want to beat this game.

You've gotten closer than you ever got, but to get even better, you're going to need to change somehow. You're going to need a genuine gaming catharsis. You might also need just a little bit of luck, as some levels of the game require you to get the right random combination of things at the same time as you are playing at your best.

I've had a lot of those kinds of moments lately with writing. No writer goes right from zero to success right away. It's a tough road for everyone, and even the extremely talented have to do some heavy lifting to get where they want to be. Earlier in my life, I decided writing seemed too hard for me, and I abandoned it for a decade or so. When I decided to really try it again five years ago, a big part of that decision was me agreeing with myself to keep pushing through a lot of failure. I didn't always keep that promise. I threw the controller down many times, but I always kept picking it back up after a break.


A really good rage quit is almost as satisfying as actually succeeding 


That led to "failing better," to paraphrase Samuel Beckett, and even to what you might call beating a few levels--publications in some smaller journals, the book, etc. For the last two years, I've been trying for a much harder level--cracking into one of the top 50 literary journals. At first, I didn't get very far, just form rejections. Last fall, I took a whole new approach to writing and cranked out five new stories. The results have been coming in for the last few months. In that time, I've gotten rejections but with encouraging notes from five of those journals: Glimmer Train (who put me on their honorable mention in a contest), Iowa Review ("we gave serious consideration to your submission and found it very promising"), The Common ("we were impressed by your writing and would like to see more work in the future"), Shenandoah ("we found much to admire in this story"), and One Story.

This is "failing better." Any writer will tell you a rejection with a note is far, far better than a form rejection. You got noticed off the slush pile, out of hundreds of manuscripts. You were probably in the last round of selections, you just didn't quite make it. I ought to be encouraged, but I'm kind of at a point where failing better isn't cutting it anymore.

This is where, to keep the video game analogy, I might just need a little luck to go with doing it better. An editor somewhere who has a personal connection to my subject matter, maybe, or just having someone read it on the right day to be in the mood for what I'm laying down.

I just don't know if I can stick with it that long. I'm not saying I quit, and I'm not saying I'm going to keep going. I'm saying I threw my controller down with one of those encouraging-but-not-quite messages, and I haven't gotten to where I can pick it back up yet. I might wake up one day and feel like I've got a way to get past the next boss, and I might decide I ought to do other things with my time.

One thing that's very different about writing from trying to beat a video game: the lag time between trying something and finding out if it works can take between a month and a year, and you don't always know what it was that killed you.

I'm sharing this in case other writers ever feel the same. I mistrust advice that tells you to keep going and believe in your dreams no matter what. I also mistrust advice that tells you the opposite. What I trust is when someone tries to tell me the truth, so that's what I'm trying to share with you. There will be moments as a writer when you don't know if you really ought or want to keep going. The only way to know if you should is to put down the controller for a bit and see how drawn you feel to pick it back up.

2 comments:

  1. Jake, I feel for you. There IS no advice, no solace, no easy answer. I am in a similar spot. I have been sending out to top pubs and been getting mainly form rejections. Yes, Glimmer Train Honorable mention, and then recently FRIGG which in the flash world is pretty big deal, but then some pieces I was convinced were right there keep getting rejected. In some contests where they publish a huge number of stories I don't make the cut and go "huh? what? not even top whatever?" It is at times discouraging as hell. And nobody can console me just as I cannot console you. But in my case just about always after a rejection I go "I am NOT giving up." That, right now, is my answer. I HAVE to pick up that controller again. In a rejection last night I only noticed when looking at it for the sixth time (yes, I know I am compulsive obsessive, haha), the editor wrote "we admire your writing. Please send to us again." Yes. A small glimmer of hope. Again, all I can say is I feel for you. You will do what is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. There really isn't much you CAN say. The supply of quality fiction is far greater than the demand, which means good stories are going to get rejected all the time. And out of any group of stories a journal publishes, there's likely to be at least one I don't like, which will always make me wonder how it made it and I didn't. That's just writing. I haven't given up yet, either. I mostly post thoughts like that because I figure the way I feel can't be unique, and I want other writers to know when they think things like that, others are also thinking things like that. Good luck getting your breakthrough.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.