Thursday, October 26, 2023

Every story, everywhere, all the time: "Treasure Island Alley" by Da-Lin

I should love "Treasure Island Alley" by Da-Lin, right? It's got time travel of sorts and a TV cartoon version of one of the four Chinese classics and science and it's about confronting death. It's a slightly less frenetic version of "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once," a comparison I'm going to bet I'm not along in making. So why didn't I like it?

While trying to answer that question for this post, I've realized how frustrating it is to do literary criticism as a part-time affair with a day job that's totally unrelated to literature. I spent some time in between my last blog-through of Best American Short Stories and now trying to shore up some of the gaps I have as a lay person, but that has only served to make me more cognizant of all I don't know. Even to do this as a hobby, I don't feel skilled enough or learned enough. 

I feel that lack the most with stories I don't like, and I really disliked "Treasure Island Alley." I will try below to explain why, because I think it's owed, but I am admitting that this attempt at a critique is poor. I just don't have the skills to do more than weakly point to what I want to say. 

What's wrong with it


"Treasure Island Alley" is what people mean when they say that all the stories in lit journals sound alike. They don't, but there are certain types of stories that give that impression. 

There's a formula to this brand of story. We like to think of literary fiction as the kind of fiction that doesn't have follow conventions, but it's got plenty of its own. They might be conventions they teach at Iowa, but they're still conventions. The formula for this type of story goes something as follows:

1) Find some fact about the universe, quirky cultural icon, or profession not many people do. Make sure it's one your audience isn't likely to know much about, so they're sufficiently awed when your character waxes rhapsodic about it for the rest of the story. Science is a good choice, because most literary journal editors don't know much about science, nor do their audiences. If a whole generation of writers could get away with trying to convince non-scientists that physics teaches us the truth of Buddhism or Taoism, you can certainly get away with having a main character who thinks the mitosis he studies in the lab teaches valuable human truths that help him cope with the loss of his daughters in a boating accident. If you're familiar with the history, culture, or language of any part of the world outside the two coasts of the United States, you can also use literally anything you want that's just lying around. Extra points if it will seem exotic to editors, as nearly everything will. 

2) Got your object or icon or unusual profession? Good. Now add some kind of tragedy, and have the main character go on and on for about twenty pages trying to make use of the thing you've picked to help him or her figure out the tragedy and other mysteries of life. No amount of improbable clinging to the thing is too much. It's not overkill; it's narrative unity.  

3) Add a bunch of really specific and esoteric-seeming details. If you can (you always can), render them in staccato sentences. "The metal and oil scent of the armory." "Pungent amines seeping into the wood chairs in the lab." Everyone will call this "lyrical" and they'll say you're making whatever thing you chose to shoehorn into every part of your story beautiful, even though you'll probably be thinking to yourself the whole time that your character's determination to read every phenomena in life through the same lens isn't beautiful; it's Quixotic. Our culture decided long ago to admire Quixote, against the express wishes of text. So go with it.

4) Finally, go on TwitterX and sell it as a funny, whacky blend. When you get interviewed about it and they ask a "fun" question, like how would you describe your story in six words, say, "Vampires, Formula One, and stinky cheese," and then laugh and try to mean it. Literary fiction is so fun! Why don't more people read it? 

Other stories that do this? This is where I know I'm weak as a critic. There was this story several years ago, but one writer who leaps more immediately to mind is Andrea Barrett. Like Da-Lin, Barrett went fairly far down a graduate school path in the sciences before turning to writing, and she's used that background to turn out a series of these kinds of stories. Barret and Da-Lin both know enough science to know more than their audience, which is all they have to know. Da-Lin can add her past in Taiwan to her pool of knowledge most people don't have. A typical Barrett story features a famous scientist making their discoveries and then turning their discoveries in the lab into meditations on life. It will develop a mantra-like summary of a scientific truth and re-use it throughout the narrative. 


That's the formula used in this story. The story takes the Monkey King, Chinese funeral practices among wealthy people in Taiwan circa 1980(?), and some random science-y facts, throws them all in a blender, and comes up with something that is, I guess, supposed to be "a deep search for nothing less than the meaning of death," according to the New England Review, which originally published it. But it's not that. It only appears to examine the meaning of death; in the end, it doesn't take death on. It disappears into its cultural tokens and kind-of-science-y stuff, and it lets those icons try to make the story seem to say something that it doesn't actually say. Since most readers don't really know what the hell the Monkey King is or anything about the science of immortality, it's guaranteed that they'll think  it's deep. 

If I were a better critic, there'd be a section here tying in Karen Russell, who I think does something similar. 

The end result is a story that mimics a real spiritual and emotional journey, but doesn't ultimately lead anywhere. It's Western yoga. 

I very nearly quit over this one


Something came undone in me reading this story. I don't know what I'm doing with these blog-throughs any more. I have too much education in literature to do fun reviews, but not enough to do the serious analysis I want to do. We'll see how the next one goes. I might not do this again. 

6 comments:

  1. Heya, I've been following your blog for a while, and I have to say that this year your BASS writeups have inspired me to grab a copy of the book and follow along. :) I personally enjoyed this story because of how deftly it jumps around between past, present, and future, but your breakdown of the lit-mag formula had me grinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sober and refreshing critique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you knew you were going to piss me off when you started in on Andrea Barrett...

    I liked it because there was some stuff I recognized (time theory, telomerase - never thought I'd run into that outside of a molecular biology mooc), some stuff I learned about (the Monkey King, laughing yoga) and an emotional connection to Xuan-Xuan's emotional experience. That doesn't make it a good story, of course, just a story I liked. I'm not qualified to say what's good or bad. I liked how the time part of the story was used both as structure and as intensifier.

    To me it made sense that she went into a field about conquering death. I thought the luaghing yoga thing was a little too "sudden epiphany" but that's really my only complaint.

    I'm kind of charmed by the persona in her contrib note, and her description of her novel in progress, which I'm already looking forward to.

    But I'm sorry this broke you (and of course I'm not really pissed off).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really qualified to say what's good or bad either, and I think my realization of that as I wrote this was really what broke me, not the story.

      Delete
  4. I connected to this story as an engineer who remembers being a similarly naive little girl. Everything was an adventure to me and my imagination ran wild just like the main character's, even in dire situations. The real fantasy is going through such a scary time and childhood imagination protecting you from reality.
    As an adult I still see undue meaning in science and look for other people who can access magic realism in the world.
    The homeless man represented reality clawing at the girl to me, almost grasping her as she dscends into danger. It alludes to how the main character experiences domestic violence in her life but can't use her imagination to process it. Also how innnocence and hopefulness pull you into situations that adult reasoning protects you from.
    Formula is a major part of literature so I wonder if this story didn't trended its formula because you didn't connect to the narrator and author the way I did. Exactly because you're a literary critic and feeling particularly cynical when you read it. I understand why such a childish and hopeful story about a little girl's connection to her womanhood didn't feel personal, but these topics and perspective haven't filled the rest of the collection to where I've read.
    Hopefully you're finding better stories for you these days and feeling more at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought a lot about my post on this story since I published it. I wonder if I got this one wrong. I can certainly see why someone would enjoy it. I do think the story's heart is in the right place, which is not faint praise. I think the story is genuine, sincere, and vulnerable, and in literary fiction, those things are sometimes rare. If I didn't read as much literary fiction as I do, I probably would have liked it. There's a reason there's often a gap between how film critics rate films and how normal audiences do.

      Of course, I read a lot of stories where I don't personally identify with the characters or material, but I can still find something compelling about the story. I don't know why this one irritated me so much. There's nothing wrong with a story coming to a therapeutic conclusion rather than a philosophical one, but maybe because the story was dealing with such cosmic issues, I felt a little disappointed by a therapeutic conclusion. It was like Moby Dick ending with Ismael musing, "Well, you win some and you lose some. That's life." But am I being fair here? I don't know. I suppose nothing about criticism is really fair.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.