Saturday, December 7, 2019

The results are out, and they seem to say that people need to be ruled

I recently mentioned that I entered a story in a Sixfold contest, the literary journal that picks its stories through reader voting rather than a board. I finished in the middle. I didn't even get out of round one.

I actually happen to have read the top three stories that won. They were assigned to me during the final round of voting. I didn't vote very high for two of them, including the winner, which I thought was pretty weak. The second place story was awful. The third place story is okay. If I had been on an editorial board and they had picked the two top stories over some of the other, better entries I saw, I'd have quit the magazine. It's a little hard to tell, because not everybody lets their names go into the final voting list, but I don't see any of the stories I actually liked during voting anywhere near the top. So I think my preferences just don't match the magazine's. I honestly don't think most of the stories they picked as the winners would make it through a halfway decent literary magazine with an editorial board.

As far as the feedback I got on my story from the voters goes, the funniest feedback I got was from one reader who said she gave my story a high vote. But she actually put my story fifth out of six in the first round. That means she was confused about how the ranking works: one is the highest and six is the lowest. She meant to put me second, but she put me next-to-last. Her misunderstanding might have been enough to knock me out after round one. Overall, out of the six votes I got in round one, I got three second place votes, two fifth, one of which was by mistake, and a fourth place vote. The other person who put me in fifth wrote this: " I found the presentation of Jenna as a ‘hypocrite’ for being a powerful woman, but also having emotions, quite problematic. It wasn’t clear enough to me whether this was an intentional comment on the catch 22 of being a powerful woman or not, but it definitely struck me a little incongruous with the overall effect that I think you were trying to create." I don't know what to tell you, dude. It's a first-person story with an obviously flawed narrator, and I found it incredibly clear that you shouldn't take his attitude as the attitude of the story. If you don't get that it's satire after the uber-absurd ending, I don't know how to help you.

Overall, I'm sorry to say that Sixfold's voting process does not seem to work better than a board. There were, like there are with most journals, a lot of bad stories submitted, and each of those bad writers got a vote. The results are sad to me, because I really think it's a great idea to try. I wonder if more journals tried it, if there'd be a place where it worked better. I think the problem with this particular journal, based on the stories I read, is that the taste of the people submitting is rather sentimental. There were a lot of stories where the whole story was a series of sad events resolved with a sudden happy ending that referred to the title, which is kind of a bush league writing tactic. But I can imagine a community forming that has a different taste. If other journals did this, I think you might see identifiable styles emerge from those communities. Sixfold's idea is solid, it just so happens that the writers who submitted, at least in the contest I entered, don't seem to really like sophisticated stories, based on what I read and what I see the readers chose. I'd like to see other journals that try this idea, but with a grass-roots push for a particular aesthetic at the same time. I would describe Sixfold's aesthetic as "ninth-grade girl who's watched a lot of Hallmark Channel."

I'm really kind of sad. Not that I didn't do well. I mean, I wish I'd done better, mostly so it didn't seem so much like I'm just questioning the results now because I didn't do well. But I sort of thought, after reading the stories I saw during voting, that this wasn't my audience. I just really hoped that readers voting would lead to better work getting selected. I wanted to believe in democracy. But it turns out that, as the Internet proves every day, the masses quite often aren't very discerning.


4 comments:

  1. Your ideology keeps clashing with reality. Most people are not discerning and completely lack any taste. Anyway, sounds, again, like random might be just as effective, but with the added benefit of denying any whiff of bias and saving everyone a hell of a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see the results of an experiment like that. Have some coder come up with an algorithm to pick randomly. But then don't tell readers that's what you did, and see if anyone can tell the difference.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar issue with Sixfold the first time I entered in 2022 (see my post at https://poetry.ruekberg.com/2023/04/three-poems-in-sixfold/). I took my chances and tried again in 2023 with worse results: my submission was only read in one round instead of three (and as happened to me the first time, and to you) one reader's comment said mine was the best in the batch, but he gave me a 6, the lowest score. That wasn't as bad as only being read in one round out of three, which guarantees I would not have a chance of winning or even placing 15th (which happened to me the first time because of three backwards scores). I wrote to the publisher both times about these issues, and the last time asked to be able to submit again for free since my submission was not read in two rounds. No reply. Ever. AVOID THIS JOURNAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say don't submit there ever. I still think it's an interesting experiment. But yeah, in that one that I originally took part in, I feel like the mob got several of the top picks very wrong, and they do need to do a better job of making sure everyone voting understands what their votes mean. If a confused voter happened to both of us, I'd guess it's not at all uncommon. There's also the issue of how people whose own stories are in the same contest might be motivated to vote against what they think are the best stories, because they're trying to eliminate the competition. But I still like the idea a lot.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.