Monday, January 22, 2018

Time for something new

There is a South Park episode where Randy Marsh gets obsessed with cooking shows and decides to dedicate his life to becoming a great chef. He quits his job and dedicates himself to the task. This drives his wife crazy, but she is unable to change his attitude until finally, to make a long story short, she gives him an "old fashioned" (hand job), and he concludes that "cooking is dumb" and goes back to life as before.





That's how I feel right now about writing literary fiction. I've given most of the last four years to it, not to mention all that time in grad school, and now, I just don't see what I saw in it. I've read every short story in the Pushcart and Best American Short Stories Anthologies for the last five years. I've read the Pulitzer-winning novels from that time, too. None of them has really changed my life the way I thought great literature should. Meanwhile, I continue to write stories that I think are getting better, but I'm having more trouble getting them published than I did a few years ago. Clearly, my ideas about what makes something worth reading do not match what the industry thinks makes something worth reading.

I was going to try to keep going for a full five years, but that just seems like a decision based entirely on the number of fingers on the human hand. I already know this isn't for me. I've done well enough I don't have to feel like I'm quitting because I just suck. But I also know I don't want to keep going forward. It's a good time to quit.

So what's next for me? I'm going to focus more on my day job as a translator. I'm going to try some different kinds of literature, probably science fiction to start with. I'm also going to read more non-fiction. I may take some courses in topics I feel stupid in, mostly information technology stuff. I don't know how to code in a single computer language. I've never taken calculus. These seem like things I ought to remedy.

I'll never stop writing. It's too much a part of how I figure things out for myself. But I think I'd like to write more about politics, religion, and other big-idea type stuff than just about writing. That's why I was interested in fiction in the first place. I don't know if I ought to start another blog, since the new one wouldn't be about writing, or just keep going on here and change the focus. Or maybe not write a blog at all, since blogs are so ten years ago that hardly anyone reads them.

I have found that blogging has been useful to me, personally, even if it's been of no use to anyone else. I see now why people used to keep journals. Writing this journal in public has been good enough for me that I will probably keep doing it in one form or another.


3 comments:

  1. I will miss my most consistent story-reading partner, but I understand the call of "something else" - funny, I started reading BASS and Pushcart to get better at writing, and discovered I liked writing about stories much more than I liked writing stories (and whole lot better than counting rejections).
    If you ever want suggestions about moocs, let me know; I still can't say I "know" calculus but I know a helluva lot about online math resources. And there's lots of other fun stuff out there too, if you ever feel like exploring.
    I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. psst... There's an "absolute beginner" mooc on programming from Microsoft (yes, they're doing moocs now) - it's 5 weeks, but self-paced so you can do it all in a day, or a week, or 5 weeks, or take a year.
    https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-python-absolute-beginner-microsoft-dev236x-1

    They also have a "fundamentals" course, a whole series in fact. All free (unless you want a certificate for some reason), all self-paced.

    ok I'll shut up now. The Southern Baptists taught me how to prosletyze, it's something you never unlearn. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might actually do this. Thanks for the link. I'd been considering the Code Academy version of this, but this one maybe seems better.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I like to know people are reading and thinking.